Rose ~ Chic ~ Friends: My blog is all about you; friends and sharing lifes journey...My love for all things Chic; repurposed, crafted, painted in many venues... and My LOVE for all things Roses! which show up in my home and created projects.

Monday, September 28, 2009

CLAY Pot Scarecrow ~ HOW TO Make Them

Hello friends!

Well, I decided to post a HOW TO on a project that I had made many years ago.  These darling clay pot scarecrows come out for my FALL spruce up.  So I was thinking just maybe this might be a fun family project for your kids, grandkids or you. What do you think?

I have shown a couple of pictures of these sweeties that I have grouped in my recent fall decor.  I am hoping that I just might inspire a few of you to join with me in creating something new for your fall home decor.

WHAT you will need:

5 clay pots (size is up to you)
Acrylic Paints
Glue, Alene's, or glue gun works okay if they are to be kept in doors



I have done these clay pot SCARECROWS in sizes ranging from 2 inches up to the largest which is 6 inch POTs.

DIRECTIONS:
paint 2 pots in either black or blue, for jeans
paint 1 pot in a red, yellow or orange, for shirt
paint 1 pot in a flesh or orange. for face
paint 1 pot in a brown or gold, for hand

OPTIONS: if you like a more shabby chic look you could do these in pinks and whites or any color combo of your choice.


Okay...now the fun begins.  You can add detailing like a place for the zipper and side seams on the blues.  Add a row of buttons or plaid stripe for the top.  In my pictures, I have then done a variety of differing faces keeping more of a scarecrow or pumpkin look for the face. Please feel free to copy my pictures for a reference help in the details. On the top pot I have painted a sunflower...you could glue a sunflower or any flower you'd like to embellish these.  I have even added straw hair and painted some on them as well.  It's really up to you and your imagination.

Once your details have been painted and dried you will then glue the pots together..starting with your bottom 2 blue/black, your shirt pot, your face pot and then your hat..which should be upside down. (See pictures)

Now, if you are adventurous, you could also cut out felt hands and arms to match and then glue on the sides.

If you do decided to try this...Please let me know.  I'd love to see how I have inspired you for FALL and creating these unique scarecrows for your home decor.

Fall Blessings!
Lorena

5 comments:

~~Deby said...

oh...these are so cute....you did a great job.
deby

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Lorena!

They are just adorable! I've never seen any like them before, so clever. Thank you for the wonderful directions Lorena, very sweet of you. However your paining is awesome on them, hard to do as good as yours!!

Still praying for you and yours!
hugs, sherry

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Lorena,
Cute little scarecow people :)
Love the postcards that you shared.
I had to show off the very pretty tassel you made!!!
Take care.
Warmly,
Deb :)

Shirl said...

Hello Lorena, how cute, you are so clever! I loved your vacation pics, looks like you had a wonderful time. Also loved your fall clip art in previous post. Have a great week!
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Jennifer said...

Lorena The scarecrows are so cute!The halloween clip art is cute also.Hugs,Jennifer