Rose ~ Chic ~ Friends: My blog is all about you; friends and sharing lifes journey...My love for all things Chic; repurposed, crafted, painted in many venues... and My LOVE for all things Roses! which show up in my home and created projects.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

COLLECTIONS ~ Week 2 ~ Collars

This week I decided to share with you what I think is a very different collection. My sweet lacy shabby chic collars. Now these are not vintage or antique..but many have very special meanings behind them which I will share as I go along.

For me, collecting has a sentimental side. Many of my collections started by something a dear loved one gave me. Are any of you like me? I am sure I am not alone in this. The creative sappy side of my personality just cannon let go of *things* dearly given to me..so alas, that is how most of my collections started.

Now if memory serves me correct, collars were worn in the Victorian times. And I do know that in the 1950's it was also a hug fad. They just seem to be a wonderful acessory item..not necessarily needed, but one that adds to your outfit.

The collar above I cannot remember where or how I came by it. But I love its lacy edging and delicate nature!
This dear collar was crocheted by my now 95 year old grammy! She did this probably 30+ years ago for each one of my sisters and I. Well they were so special to me that I wouldn't let my sisters get rid of them and so I ended with 2 others that she made. Each one is different from the other. I love to find vintage satin covered hangers to use for displaying my collars. So most of them will be shown as they are displayed in my Master bedroom today.
This peachy gem was another one that grammy crocheted...just love it!

This delicate, but larger collar was one i believe my mom found a gifted me with.
I have adorned my lamp with this white collar, which once again, my grams crocheted. Aren't they just beautiful? She still crochets at 95...little booties and hats for the local hospital in Bosie, Id where she resides with my Aunt.
I saves the BEST for last. I FOUND this PEARLY GEM at a Antique Mall out in Kent, Washington over 20 years ago. Pearls have to be one of my favorite gems, or course, next to diamonds!!!...but I just could image myself using this in a very special way...someday.
If you decide to join me..please let me know so I can come visit. And..if you have just happened upon my blog...I LOVE comments and meeting new bloggers....just give me some time to come back and visit..I will, I PROMISE!
Blessings...Lorena

11 comments:

Connie said...

If anyone can do "collections" well, it's you, my sweet friend! Those are beautiful, sugar........
xoxo,
Connie

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful collection of collars. That beaded collar is especially lovely!

blushing rose said...

OMG! I love the pearls. What a clever presentation. TTFN ~Marydon

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Lorena,
Those are so beautiful and how awesome that your Grandma still makes them and other keepsakes.
The pearl one is lovely!!
Warmly,
Deb :)

Shirl said...

Hi Lorena, what a sweet little Collection. Thank you for sharing! I have a collection of collars and cuffs. Maybe I'll post them sometime is I can get them all together.I hope to get some pics taken this week for my first collections post.
Bless you, Shirl
SHirls Rose Cottage

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Lorena,
Love your collar collection. Each one is so lovely and I adore that last one with the pearls.
I have a few handmade collars too and just love to decorate with them.
I love how you have yours displayed and on the lamp is such a nice touch. I love that your grandma is 95 and still creating such pretties. Thank you for sharing.
Hope you are enjoying the summer and doing well.

Love you, Celestina Marie

Pink Princess said...

OH I remember my mom having a few loose collars as well, and the pearly one is one I remember best. SO wish I still had them. Adore your collection and yay to your gram for still making nice items. A true treasure you have her collars still ♥

Anonymous said...

I can remember as a child of the 50's I had a red princess style dress. It had no collar. It was made for the Holidays by My Mother & was a red pinwale cordoroy. Anyway, I had a small white fur collar for it that snapped at the neck & had 2 strings with fur pom poms at the ends. I was in about 5th grade & I thought I was just "it"!! I loved that collar!!
Wonderful Memory!!
Love,
Marilyn

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What a wonderful collection of beautiful collars you have, Lorena!! I have a couple that my dear grandmother made for me & Bree, too! I love how you have yours displayed!! You are sooo lucky to still have your sweet grammy ~ I miss mine every day.

Love you,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

vickie said...

Beautiful collection, Lorena! The one with the pearls is so pretty and delicate. Having some that were made by your gammy is wonderful.

Patricia said...

I love all of your beautiful collars. Crochet work is one of my favorites.