Rose ~ Chic ~ Friends: My blog is all about you; friends and sharing lifes journey...My love for all things Chic; repurposed, crafted, painted in many venues... and My LOVE for all things Roses! which show up in my home and created projects.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS ~ The Story Behind


Hi Bloggy Friends!

This was sent to me recently by my mom.  It was so interesting
I thought I would like to pass this on to others.  It is the history
about the origin of the 12 Days of Christmas.


From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted
to practice their faith openly. Someone during that era
 wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics.
It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden
 meaning known only to members of their church.
Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious
 reality which the children could remember.



-The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

-Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

-Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.

-The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

-The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law,
the first five books of the Old Testament.

-The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

-Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--
Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation,
Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

-The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

-Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit
--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness,
Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.

-The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

-The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

-The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the
twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.



So there is your history of  the 12 Day's Of Christmas Christmas song.
 I found it interesting
and enlightening and now I know how that strange song became a
Christmas Carol...so pass it on if you wish.

Merry Christmas
Lorena





3 comments:

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Merry Christmas!!!
I just learned that at the Ladies Bible study that I go to! That is so awesome!
Hoping you have a wonderful Christmas!
love,
deb :)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Lorena,
Just stopping by to wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas. I also wanted to thank you for your friendship and prayers this past year. You are a very special lady and I thank the Lord for you. May your holiday be filled with joy and many blessings from above.

Love & Hugs,
Sandi

Donnie said...

That was really interesting. I have never heard it before. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas.